VB Project Idea: Vapour Recovery and Emission Control; Paving the way to a 0% emission in VOC transport
Roadmap to eliminate Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions in hydrocarbon transport:
- 2020 to 10% LEL or equivalent, Technical already available
- 2025 to meet the land based emissions norms Technical a challenge but achievable
- 2030 towards 0% emission, Technical innovation required
Enable implementation and enforcement in an harmonized way with as low as possible operational and financial effect on the market.
The project builds upon the results from the CDNI, CCR, Province of South Holland, Port of Rotterdam to eliminate release of organic compounds in transport, mainly shipping and terminals. Now tons VOC are blown out of cargo tanks from both inland as maritime ships each day that are highly polluting and toxic.
The project comprises of partners that wish to eliminate this practice in a responsible way. The project will comprise of the number of core partners, supported by partners that will carry out predefined tasks. surrounding the project associated partners will be involved for input, on site demonstrations and dissemination.
The project will comprise the following work packages:
WP 1 Management
WP 2 Dissemination, awareness and acceptance
WP 3 Enabling through technical solutions
This work package will focus on the stimulating and facilitating the needed technical development to ensure that vapor recovery can be achieved, emissions be reduced to near 0% and enforcing regulations can be supported in an effective and efficient way.
All these will result in dedicated demonstrations to learn from each other, as:
- Zero point assessment
- Demonstrations vapor recovery
- Demonstration vapor release monitoring
- Demonstration of vapor recovery tracing system
- Impact assessment on implementation of the vapor recovery on transport logistics
WP 4 Governance
- Roadmap to 2020 to 10% LEL or equivalent, Technical already available
- Roadmap to 2025 to meet the land based emissions norms, Technical a challenge but achievable
- Roadmap to 2030 towards 0% emission, Technical innovation required
WP 5 implementation, logistics and operations
- Economic impact
- Stimulate, enable and roll out the roadmaps
- Roadmap towards elimination of VOC emission
- Certification of treatment and monitoring equipment and demonstration of their use
- First implementation of the roadmaps and support schemes to do so
Enable reduction of the VOC emission by shipping and terminals over 80%
At this moment transport of hydrocarbons leads to emission of these products, especially in shipping and at terminals. These VOC's are highly polluting, and have a high environmental and health impact. Regional governmental organisation are taking action, however, as transport goes over transnational regions, these measures only lead to displacement and not to solving the problem.
We aim to provide the basis for solutions by validation of technologies and strategies, exchange of best practices, demonstrations, providing solutions and input to stakeholders and international platforms with the aim to harmonize the regulation and support new regulations and implementation of the solutions.
Sustainable environmental management
Governmental organisations, technology providers and environmental inspections fro the Netherlands and Belgium
Ports from The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany
Private companies involved in storage and transport of organic compounds from The Netherlands and Norway
Solution providers from The Netherlands
Governmental organisations from Germany, Uk, Denmark, Sweden and Norway
Ports form Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and UK
Private companies involved in storage and transport of organic compounds that wish to commit themselves to the objectives
Solution providers from any country